Metro's ventilation fans malfunctioned on the day of its recent fatal smoke incident, the National Transportation Safety Board has learned. Now the board is issuing new safety recommendations for the transit system.
Metro opened its emergency training center to reporters Tuesday, following news reports that relatively few D.C. firefighters and medics received hands-on training at the facility in Landover, Maryland, last year.
More than 80 people were injured and one woman died in a Metro emergency last month. As the investigation into the incident continues, we look at at an agreement on emergency procedures between Metro and responders and look at whether things went according to the plan.
"One of the criticisms of bikesharing throughout the country is that you have to have a credit card to access this system," says Chris Hamilton, who runs Arlington's Commuter Services bureau. He says the cash program is designed to help folks who do not have credit or debit cards.
The D.C. Council’s first public hearing on Metro’s L’Enfant Plaza disaster revealed little new information about what went wrong, but the three-hour session did expose concerns about first responders’ radio communications systems and training.
When you give to WAMU, your tax-deductible membership gift helps make possible award-winning programs such as Morning Edition, All Things Considered, The Diane Rehm Show, The Kojo Nnamdi Show, and other favorites.