There are a couple of key road closures planned for rush hour this evening in downtown D.C. due to the National Christmas Tree lighting. D.C. officials are urging drivers to avoid the area, and Metro is advising bus customers whose routes traverse downtown D.C. of potential delays and detours around the White House. The ceremony is expected to begin at 4:30 p.m. with street closures expected between 4:15 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
The following streets are expected to be closed:
- 15th Street NW from Constitution Ave. to Pennsylvania Ave.
- 17th Street NW from Constitution Ave. to New York Ave.
- Constitution Ave. NW between 15th and 17th streets may be closed if necessary.
Traffic impacts are expected to affect:
- 18th Street NW
- 13th Street NW
- 14th Street NW
- H Street NW
- I Street NW
- K Street NW
As a result, the following Metrobus routes will be subject to delays and detours this evening:
3Y, 11Y, 16Y, 32, 36, 37, 38B, 39, 42, 43, 52, 53, 80, D1, D2, D3, D5, D6, G8, L2, N2, N3, N4, P6, P17, P19, S1, S2, S4, S9, W13, X1, X2, X9
- All bus routes beginning, ending or passing through the downtown area may be subject to delays or detours as a result of this event.
- Specific detour information will be provided to customers via MetroAlerts.
- Board buses outside the downtown area by walking or using Metrorail to travel beyond downtown congestion. Customers using a SmarTrip card receive a $0.50 discount when transferring between Metrobus and Metrorail.