WAMU 88.5 : Morning Edition

Filed Under:

Firefighters Check For Detectors As Neighbors Reel From CO Deaths

Play associated audio
Prince George's County Fire Chief Marc Bashoor speaks to reporters outside the Oxon Hill home where five people were found dead April 24, likely from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Matt Bush
Prince George's County Fire Chief Marc Bashoor speaks to reporters outside the Oxon Hill home where five people were found dead April 24, likely from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Firefighters in Prince George's County are going door to door this morning in an Oxon Hill neighborhood checking for carbon monoxide detectors. It comes a day after five people were found dead inside a home in the area; investigators believe they were killed by levels of carbon monoxide more than 100 times the normal rate.

The deaths of a married couple, the married woman's sister, and two other men shook the community around Shelby Drive in Oxon Hill, just a short distance from the Indian Head Highway exit off the Capital Beltway. 

Pastor Tomas Aguilar presides at a church that some of the deceased attended; the couple's son is a deacon at the church. 

"It's a great sorrow to see the loss of any life that brings good to this earth," Aguilar said in Spanish as people gathered near the home Tuesday. "They were lovely people that never harmed anyone. Now, we have to come together to support those who are grieving."

One of the women who died had just returned Monday night from a hospital after undergoing back surgery, according to her daughter. The heat was likely on high that night because of colder temperatures outside, says Prince George's County fire chief Marc Bashoor. Investigators found the pipes from the heating system had rusted and separated.

"There is no indication of anything other than a tragic loss here, a tragic accident," Bashoor said during a press conference Tuesday.

The firefighters' message is simple this morning as they canvass the area.

"Have a carbon monoxide detector in your home ... just like smoke alarms. We preach it everyday, I'm preaching it now. Have a carbon monoxide detector," Bashoor said. "It's slightly lighter than air, so you should put it up near the ceiling. You should put it near your sleeping area."

Over the past two months, Prince George's County emergency responders received four calls from the Shelby Drive neighborhood regarding suspected carbon monoxide leaks in that area, the chief said.

"That's not unusual for any neighborhood of this age," said Bashoor. "A lot of these homes were built post-World War II. There's a lot of older heating systems."

Firefighters canvassed the area raising awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning after those calls, just like they will do again this morning.

NPR

Collards And Canoodling: How Helen Gurley Brown Promoted Premarital Cooking

The legendary Cosmo editor, subject of two new biographies, knew sex sells – and food brings in ad money. She cannily combined them with features like "After Bed, What? (a light snack for an encore)."
NPR

Collards And Canoodling: How Helen Gurley Brown Promoted Premarital Cooking

The legendary Cosmo editor, subject of two new biographies, knew sex sells – and food brings in ad money. She cannily combined them with features like "After Bed, What? (a light snack for an encore)."
WAMU 88.5

The Legality Of Restoring Virginia Voting Rights

Virginia's governor is bypassing the commonwealth's Supreme Court ruling and restoring felon voting rights individually. Kojo examines Terry McAuliffe's move with a legal expert.

NPR

Sun-Powered Airplane Completes Historic Trip Around The World

"This is not only a first in the history of aviation; it's before all a first in the history of energy," Swiss pilot Bertrand Piccard says. His plane flew more than 26,700 miles without using fuel.

Leave a Comment

Help keep the conversation civil. Please refer to our Terms of Use and Code of Conduct before posting your comments.