WAMU 88.5 : Morning Edition

Filed Under:

Occupy DC Turned Away From Newseum

Play associated audio

Occupy DC protesters marched from McPherson Square to the Newseum Wednesday evening to illustrate their point to the government and corporate executives attending the Washington Ideas Forum. They were denied entry however. 
Elliott Francis
Occupy DC protesters marched from McPherson Square to the Newseum Wednesday evening to illustrate their point to the government and corporate executives attending the Washington Ideas Forum. They were denied entry however. 

Protestors with Occupy DC marched to the Newseum Wednesday night in order to speak to some of the 60 politicians, policy makers, and business leaders, attending the 'Washington Ideas Forum'. But they didn't stay long. 

The 50 to 75 protestors arrived in front of the Newseum shortly after 6 p.m. Greeting them at the door, however, were a phalanx of D.C, metro police officers who stopped them from going in.  Organizer Rob Wolf explains why.

"Some of us were under the impression that it was a public museum and wanted to go in to exercise our first amendment rights," Wolf says. "It's private property as it turns out, and so we could not go in."

Like its parent protest in New York, Occupy DC demands an end to policies and institutions which they say benefit the wealthiest 1 percent of Americans at the expense of the remaining 99 percent of Americans. 

One occupy D.C. protester, Samantha Hill, was raised in the midwest and says those policies have taken a toll there. 

"The hometown that I come from in Michigan, there are more unoccupied homes then there are occupied homes there now," she says. "And you go there and it's a sad portrait of what's happened to America in this economic recession."

NPR

In An Alternate 19th Century London, Sins Are Marked With 'Smoke'

NPR's Audie Cornish speaks with Dan Vyleta about his novel, Smoke. It's set in an alternate 19th century London, where the morally corrupt are marked by a smoke that pours from their bodies.
WAMU 88.5

D.C.'s Public Schools Select New Lunch Providers

D.C. Public Schools is abandoning longtime school food provider Chartwells in the wake of allegations of poor food quality and fraud and moving forward with new vendors for 2016. But, questions remain about the selection process and future oversight.

WAMU 88.5

Creating A D.C. State Constitution

We explore the historic process of crafting a constitution for D.C. statehood nearly three decades after the last attempt, and find out how drafters are preparing for the June constitutional convention.

NPR

Online Eye Exam Site Makes Waves In Eye Care Industry

Need a vision test? Now you can do it online with a computer and a smartphone. The site has attracted a lot of attention in the tech world, but eye care professionals have concerns.

Leave a Comment

Help keep the conversation civil. Please refer to our Terms of Use and Code of Conduct before posting your comments.