The fact that a Frederick, Md. man was poisoned by "destroying angel" mushrooms, shown here, has led health officials to warn against eating fungus found in the wild.
Wild mushrooms are sprouting up everywhere after all the wet weather recently, and doctors at Georgetown University are warning against eating them after two men became ill.
There have been two separate cases of mushroom poisoning in the past two weeks. In Springfield, Va., Frank Constantinopla and his wife picked mushrooms to cook in a stir fry. Within hours of eating the fungi known as "death cap" mushrooms, they felt sick, according to Associated Press. His symptoms were worse, and within days, he was suffering from the early stages of liver failure.
One week later, a retired farmer from Frederick, Md. fell ill with mushroom toxicity. (He had eaten another poisonous mushroom known as the 'destroying angel,' according to a GU statement.) Doctors at Georgetown were able to administer both men a drug that's currently still in clinical trials, and they are now recovering.
Health officials say people should buy their mushrooms from legitimate farms or grocery stores.