While the main stories of Tuesday's D.C. primary were the defeat of Mayor Vincent Gray and Council member Jim Graham (D-Ward 1), a number of other races were also on the ballot yesterday:
- In the race for Council Chair, Phil Mendelson handily defeated challenger Calvin Gurley 81-17.
- In an At-Large race, Council member Anita Bonds won another term, beating challengers Nate Bennett-Fleming, John Settles and Pedro Rubio. She took just under 53 percent of the vote.
- In Ward 3, Council member Mary Cheh ran unopposed, and won.
- In Ward 5, Council member Kenyan McDuffie emerged victorious with close to 80 percent of the vote.
- In Ward 6, Charles Allen defeated Darrel Thompson 58-41. Allen will replace his former boss, Council member Tommy Wells, who ran for mayor.
- Eleanor Holmes Norton won her re-election bid for her non-voting seat in Congress, while Paul Strauss and Franklin Garcia took the Shadow Senator and Shadow Representative races.
All of these candidates still face competitors in the November general election.