NPR : News

Filed Under:

San Diego Mayor Must Go, His Party Says; Accuser Count At 7

Four more women — including a retired Navy rear admiral — came forward Thursday to accuse San Diego Mayor Bob Filner of unwanted sexual advances. That brings to seven the number of women who say they've been "on the receiving end of unwanted advances, inappropriate touching and comments by Filner," San Diego's KPBS is reporting.

His own party now wants Filner to step down. Support for the mayor "continued to crumble Thursday when the county Democratic Party demanded he resign as the sexual harassment scandal around him intensified," San Diego's Union-Tribune writes. The newspaper adds that:

"We are not here to determine guilt or innocence," party Chairwoman Francine Busby said after emerging from the closed session where the committee voted 34-6 for resignation. "However, in the best interests of the city, the San Diego County Democratic Party has asked Mayor Filner to step down to seek the personal help that he needs, to address his legal issues and allow the city of San Diego to move forward."

"I need help," Filner said in a video statement released earlier this month. He also said he would not resign.

On Thursday, according to the Union-Tribune, Filner asked the people of San Diego to "take a deep breath and let that process work itself out. Meanwhile, we've got a city to run."

Update at 11:20 a.m. ET. Director Of Arts And Culture Commission Resigns:

KPBS writes that "only one month into her post, Denise Montgomery is resigning as executive director of the City of San Diego's Commission for Arts and Culture." In a statement, Montgomery says, "I cannot in good conscience remain part of the Filner administration."

Copyright 2013 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.

NPR

Despite Host Controversy, Amazon Takes A Chance On 'Top Gear'

The trio that made Top Gear the world's biggest car show will return to the small screen in a new show for Amazon Prime. The BBC canned one of its hosts last year after a fight with a producer.
WAMU 88.5

Donald Trump Sues Chef José Andrés Over Hotel Pullout

Trump has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against Chef José Andrés and his companies after Andrés announced that he's canceling plans to have a restaurant inside Trump's Old Post Office hotel in downtown D.C.
WAMU 88.5

Donald Trump Sues Chef José Andrés Over Hotel Pullout

Trump has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against Chef José Andrés and his companies after Andrés announced that he's canceling plans to have a restaurant inside Trump's Old Post Office hotel in downtown D.C.
NPR

Despite Host Controversy, Amazon Takes A Chance On 'Top Gear'

The trio that made Top Gear the world's biggest car show will return to the small screen in a new show for Amazon Prime. The BBC canned one of its hosts last year after a fight with a producer.

Leave a Comment

Help keep the conversation civil. Please refer to our Terms of Use and Code of Conduct before posting your comments.