WAMU 88.5 : News

Filed Under:

Metro Plans Extra Trains For July 4 Fireworks Celebration

Play associated audio
Half a million people turn out every year for the July 4 fireworks in the District.
Federal Reserve
Half a million people turn out every year for the July 4 fireworks in the District.

Metro will be running extra trains Thursday evening to help people get to and from the National Mall for the July 4th fireworks display.

Metro says more than 500,000 people are expected to use the transit system on Independence Day, with many traveling to the mall for the fireworks set to begin at 9:10 p.m.

Since most travel is expected late in the day, Metro will begin the holiday on a weekend schedule, opening at 7 a.m. Thursday instead of 5 a.m. But from 6 p.m. through closing at midnight, trains will operate at near rush-hour service levels.

To avoid crowding, Metro recommends not making transfers if possible, and says passengers headed to the Mall should consider using stations other than Smithsonian or Federal Triangle, which often see the heaviest ridership for events on the National Mall.

Metro says there's no scheduled track work planned for the holiday.

NPR

Professional Wrestling World Mourns Longtime Star 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper

The Canadian entered the WWF as a villain and fought Hulk Hogan and Mr. T in the first Wrestlemania event. The career gave the often-bekilted grappler many chances to show off his bagpipe skills.
WAMU 88.5

Donald Trump Sues Chef José Andrés Over Hotel Pullout

Trump has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against Chef José Andrés and his companies after Andrés announced that he's canceling plans to have a restaurant inside Trump's Old Post Office hotel in downtown D.C.
WAMU 88.5

Donald Trump Sues Chef José Andrés Over Hotel Pullout

Trump has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against Chef José Andrés and his companies after Andrés announced that he's canceling plans to have a restaurant inside Trump's Old Post Office hotel in downtown D.C.
NPR

Despite Host Controversy, Amazon Takes A Chance On 'Top Gear'

The trio that made Top Gear the world's biggest car show will return to the small screen in a new show for Amazon Prime. The BBC canned one of its hosts last year after a fight with a producer.

Leave a Comment

Help keep the conversation civil. Please refer to our Terms of Use and Code of Conduct before posting your comments.