Some 4,500 Pepco customers remained without power on Friday, down from a high of 40,000 during Thursday's storm.
The fast-moving thunderstorm that swept across the region on Thursday afternoon may not have packed the same wallop as last year's derecho, but it still left thousands of residents across the region in the dark.
As of Friday morning, over 6,000 customers in D.C., Maryland and Virginia remained without electricity. All told, 4,800 Pepco customers and 1,960 BG&E still didn't have power by early Friday, while only a smattering of customers in parts of Virginia still remained without electricity. The derecho that hit the region in June 2012 left hundreds of thousands of customers in the dark, and some did not get electricity back for up to a week.
At the height of the storm, some 100,000 area homes were plunged into darkness, including 40,000 Pepco customers, the majority in Montgomery County, and 39,000 BG&E customers. Pepco says it expects to have its customers back online by the end of Friday, while BG&E says restorations will take place on Friday morning.
As usual, most of the damage was caused by falling trees or tree branches. Pepco reported more than three-dozen complaints of downed trees and five-dozen reports of downed wires.
Two Montgomery County schools—Sligo Middle School and Blair Ewing Center—will close Friday due to power outages.