NPR : News

Filed Under:

Pope Blesses Faithful At Vatican For First Time Since Resignation Announcement

Pope Benedict XVI blessed tens of thousands of cheering faithful Sunday for the first time since he announced his resignation last week.

NPR's Sylvia Poggioli reported on the event for our Newscast unit. Here's what she said:

"Under hazy skies, St. Peter's Square was packed with pilgrims, tourists and curiosity seekers.

"At noon, Benedict appeared at his window overlooking the square and raised his arms outstretched to the massive crowd.

"He spoke in Italian, English, French, German, Polish and Spanish. But it was only in this last language that he asked the faithful to continue praying for him and the next pope.

"The pope gave particular thanks to the people of Rome, a possible hint at Benedict's title after he retires. Some analysts say he might be called emeritus bishop of Rome. And the crowd broke out into wild applause."

Benedict steps down as pope on Feb. 28. Cardinals will then elect his successor at a conclave in the Sistine Chapel.

Here's more from The Associated Press:

"The Vatican hasn't announced the date of the start of the conclave, but said on Saturday that it might start sooner than March 15, the earliest date it can be launched under current rules. Benedict would have to sign off on any earlier date, an act that would be one of the last of his nearly eight-year papacy."

Benedict is the first pope to retire in 600 years. At the time of his announcement, he cited his advanced age, 85, and diminishing strength as reasons for his decision.

Copyright 2013 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.

NPR

Despite Host Controversy, Amazon Takes A Chance On 'Top Gear'

The trio that made Top Gear the world's biggest car show will return to the small screen in a new show for Amazon Prime. The BBC canned one of its hosts last year after a fight with a producer.
WAMU 88.5

Donald Trump Sues Chef José Andrés Over Hotel Pullout

Trump has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against Chef José Andrés and his companies after Andrés announced that he's canceling plans to have a restaurant inside Trump's Old Post Office hotel in downtown D.C.
WAMU 88.5

Donald Trump Sues Chef José Andrés Over Hotel Pullout

Trump has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against Chef José Andrés and his companies after Andrés announced that he's canceling plans to have a restaurant inside Trump's Old Post Office hotel in downtown D.C.
NPR

Despite Host Controversy, Amazon Takes A Chance On 'Top Gear'

The trio that made Top Gear the world's biggest car show will return to the small screen in a new show for Amazon Prime. The BBC canned one of its hosts last year after a fight with a producer.

Leave a Comment

Help keep the conversation civil. Please refer to our Terms of Use and Code of Conduct before posting your comments.