Maryland State Panel Approves Survey For Offshore Wind | WAMU 88.5 - American University Radio

WAMU 88.5 : News

Filed Under:

Maryland State Panel Approves Survey For Offshore Wind

Play associated audio
The slow push towards offshore wind power in Maryland continues.
Michal Sacharewicz: http://www.flickr.com/photos/onnufry/2965410770/
The slow push towards offshore wind power in Maryland continues.

A state panel in Maryland has approved a $3.3 million contract to conduct a survey related to developing wind power off the coast of Ocean City, according to the Associated Press.

The Board of Public Works approved the contract Wednesday with Coastal Planning & Engineering for a high-resolution geophysical survey.

The money for the contract will come from about $30 million the state of Maryland received in a settlement agreement with Exelon Corp. last year in its bid to takeover Baltimore's Constellation Energy.

Gov. Martin O'Malley's proposals to develop offshore wind have stalled in the last two regular sessions of the Maryland General Assembly. A scaled-back version passed the House of Delegates last year, but did not clear the state Senate.

O'Malley is expected to try again this year.

WAMU 88.5

Capital Fringe Fest's 'Bethesda' Hits Close To Home

The annual Capital Fringe Festival, which aims to bring new energy and artists to the D.C. area performing arts community, is back. This year's program includes one play that hits close to home.
NPR

Economists Say Inflation Is Tame; Consumers Aren't Buying It

On paper, inflation has been low this year. But consumers buying food or fuel may disagree. Prices for beef, eggs, fresh fruit and many other foods are much higher than overall inflation.
NPR

Germany Calls For 'Honest Foundation' In Relations With U.S.

The remarks by Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier follow fresh allegations of U.S. spying on Germany and Berlin's request that the top U.S. intelligence official in the country leave.
NPR

NSA Implementing Fix To Prevent Snowden-Like Security Breach

A year after Edward Snowden's digital heist, the NSA's chief technology officer says steps have been taken to stop future incidents. But he says there's no way for the NSA to be entirely secure.

Leave a Comment

Help keep the conversation civil. Please refer to our Terms of Use and Code of Conduct before posting your comments.