The first full day of Olympic competition brought moments of tense excitement, in the pool and on the archery course, among other places. At the time of this post, China leads the overall medal count, with 6, followed by Italy and the United States, with 5. Four of China's medals are gold.
We'll be keeping up with late results — and you can follow the action in our automatic tally. But it's also time to look ahead to Sunday, which promises another full day for swimming. And women's gymnastics begins its qualifying rounds, which start at 4:30 a.m. EDT and end at 4:25 p.m. EDT.
Here are some highlights among Sunday's events. All times are EDT:
- 2:30 p.m. women's 100m butterfly final
- 3:08 p.m. men's 100m breaststroke final
- 3:15 p.m. women's 400m freestyle final
- 3:54 p.m. men's 4x100m freestyle relay final
- 7 a.m. women's road race
- 9 a.m. women's skeet shooting finals
- 10 a.m. women's synchronized springboard final
- 1:01 p.m. women's team final in archery
- 2:10 p.m. men's individual sabre fencing final
- 4:15 p.m. U.S. women's field hockey vs. Germany
Preliminary Round Games
- 9:30 a.m. U.S. men's basketball team vs. France
- 11:45 a.m. U.S. men's volleyball team plays Serbia
- 2:40 p.m. U.S. men's water polo team plays Montenegro
Copyright 2012 National Public Radio. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.