Pepco held a "live line" demonstration Wednesday to emphasize the need for safety in storm-damaged areas.
Last week's microburst in our region was a reminder that the summer storm season is officially underway. The American Red Cross joined Pepco Wednesday to remind residents what it takes to stay safe.
There are the usual precautions that need to be taken in the event of an emergency, such as having an evacuation plan and a back-up power supply, but Linda Mathes of the Red Cross says updating resources is essential.
"Refresh your supplies; make sure your batteries and the food you put in your kits are updated are current," said Mathes.
While that element of safety is on consumers, Pepco's president is defending the utility following charges from customers who say they're tired of what they call frequent outages and poor service. Pepco says over the past two years, there's been a 59 percent reduction in the duration of outages.
A proposed 4 percent rate increase is on the table. The Public Service Commission will make a decision on the issue by mid-July.