WAMU 88.5 : News

Filed Under:

MGM Announces Plans For Casino In Prince George's County

Play associated audio
Jim Murren (left) and John Peterson (right) leaving the statehouse in Annapolis after meeting separately with Gov. Martin O'Malley and Senate President Mike Miller. Murren is the chairman and CEO of MGM. Peterson is with The Peterson Companies, the developer for National Harbor.
Matt Bush
Jim Murren (left) and John Peterson (right) leaving the statehouse in Annapolis after meeting separately with Gov. Martin O'Malley and Senate President Mike Miller. Murren is the chairman and CEO of MGM. Peterson is with The Peterson Companies, the developer for National Harbor.

MGM Resorts International announced Friday that it will develop and operate a casino at National Harbor, but that's predicated on the General Assembly holding a special session next month and approving a bill that would allow for the casino license and table games.

MGM also says the state tax rate of 67 percent on casino earnings--among the highest in the country--would have to be lowered.

Gov. Martin O'Malley (D) thinks that can happen, saying the high rate was a compromise to get gaming approved in Maryland five years ago.

"I think now that people have seen that the sky hasn't fallen and that the opening of locations have not led to the automatic degradation of the morals of the people of Maryland ... people are more flexible," says O'Malley.

An advisory group determining whether there's consensus to hold a special session on gaming will meet for the final time this week.

NPR

Despite Host Controversy, Amazon Takes A Chance On 'Top Gear'

The trio that made Top Gear the world's biggest car show will return to the small screen in a new show for Amazon Prime. The BBC canned one of its hosts last year after a fight with a producer.
WAMU 88.5

Donald Trump Sues Chef José Andrés Over Hotel Pullout

Trump has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against Chef José Andrés and his companies after Andrés announced that he's canceling plans to have a restaurant inside Trump's Old Post Office hotel in downtown D.C.
WAMU 88.5

Donald Trump Sues Chef José Andrés Over Hotel Pullout

Trump has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against Chef José Andrés and his companies after Andrés announced that he's canceling plans to have a restaurant inside Trump's Old Post Office hotel in downtown D.C.
NPR

Despite Host Controversy, Amazon Takes A Chance On 'Top Gear'

The trio that made Top Gear the world's biggest car show will return to the small screen in a new show for Amazon Prime. The BBC canned one of its hosts last year after a fight with a producer.

Leave a Comment

Help keep the conversation civil. Please refer to our Terms of Use and Code of Conduct before posting your comments.