Carbon Monoxide Leak Strikes Southeast D.C. | WAMU 88.5 - American University Radio

WAMU 88.5 : News

Filed Under:

Carbon Monoxide Leak Strikes Southeast D.C.

Play associated audio

Several families are being evaluated following a carbon monoxide leak in Southeast D.C.

When a woman and her child became lethargic and semi-conscious here in this three-story condo complex in southeast, residents thought there was a natural gas leak. D.C. fire crews were called to the 2600 block of Wade Road around 1:20 p.m. Monday and found high levels of the toxic gas inside an apartment building.

"It was a carbon monoxide emergency," says Deputy Fire Chief Demetrios Vlassapoulos.

Thirteen adults and five children are under evaluation at the scene, and all but two of the adults were taken to the hospital. All are expected to be okay.

It's suspected the leak came from a basement furnace.

NPR

Ghanaian Mystery Writer Says, 'It's Easy To Get Murdered In Accra'

And, author Kwei Quartey adds, "The police may not find you for a little while." That's why he chose to set his second Detective Inspector Dawson book in Ghana's capital.
NPR

Oklahoma Joe's Restaurant Comes Home

Oklahoma Joe's, in Kansas City, is changing its name after 17 years in business. It's time to claim the name of the city they are famous for.
NPR

A Political Family, Funding And Running On Both Sides Of The Aisle

The wealthy Ricketts family includes conservatives and a liberal, activists and a candidate. Between them, they raise and spend a lot of political money — and exemplify how the system has changed.
NPR

X Prize Competition Could Make 'Tricorder' A Reality

Many Star Trek gadgets have made the journey from science fiction to real life. Arun Rath talks to Grant Campany about the X Prize Foundation's competition to bring the medical tricorder to life.

Leave a Comment

Help keep the conversation civil. Please refer to our Terms of Use and Code of Conduct before posting your comments.