Plim Plaza Hotel in Ocean City, Maryland finds itself in hot water, after an elderly man from out of state died of legionnaires disease, according to the Associated Press. Health Department officials says tests on water taken at several locations in the hotel confirm the presence of the bacteria that causes the disease.
The downtown hotel agreed to close down last week, after three people reportedly became ill with pneumonia-like symptoms. Since then, three more people have confirmed cases of legionnaires disease since their stay at the hotel.
The man’s death is the first of it’s kind in Ocean City since the death of a Pennsylvania man and his daughter in 2006 from carbon monoxide inhalation at another local hotel.
That case resulted in a wrongful death trial, and the Ocean City’s Solicitor says the Plim Plaza hotel could face a similar lawsuit.