Nine dogs had to be put down after a case of the highly-contagious Parvo virus was discovered at a shelter in Washington County, Maryland.
The Humane Society of Washington County, Maryland is not accepting dogs until further notice, after five puppies taken to the shelter tested positive for the potentially fatal parvovirus, according to the Associated Press.
The five puppies were put down, along with four dogs at the shelter that caught the virus. The shelter is asking anyone who finds a dog to hold onto it and contact the shelter. Parvovirus is extremely contagious among dogs and potentially fatal, but is not spread from dogs to humans. Although humans can spread it from dog to dog on their hands, clothing and other objects.
Shelter workers are bleaching the facility.
The society says the economy may be keeping owners from having pets vaccinated.