Emergency Services evacuated the 1300 block of Harvard Street in Columbia Heights after what is believed to be a carbon monoxide leak. At least three were in serious condition.
D.C. authorities say 43 people are being treated after a suspected case of carbon monoxide poisoning struck the Second Genesis drug and alcohol rehabilitation center in the Columbia Heights neighborhood of D.C. Tuesday afternoon.
Residents reported having complained of odd smells, headaches and flu-like symptoms for several days. One fire official said three people were in serious condition, and there were several people being treated with oxygen at the scene. Later, a large white bus carrying several dozen people left to go to a local hospital.
The entire 1300 block of Harvard Street remains closed, according to the fire department, as hazmat teams ventilate two buildings.
There is no word on the source of the leak.