WAMU 88.5 : News

Rep. Bobby Scott Won't Run For Senate

Play associated audio
 Rep. Bobby Scott (D-Va.) chairs a House Committee on Education and the Workforce hearing in 2009. Scott will not run for a U.S. Senate seat in 2012, he announced Sept. 5. 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edlabordems/3352095330/
 Rep. Bobby Scott (D-Va.) chairs a House Committee on Education and the Workforce hearing in 2009. Scott will not run for a U.S. Senate seat in 2012, he announced Sept. 5. 

 

Virginia Democrat Rep. Bobby Scott has decided against running for U.S. Senate, he said Monday. 

During an annual Democratic Labor Day Picnic in Newport News, Va., Scott, a 10-term representative, instead endorsed Democratic former Gov. Tim Kaine for the 2012 race.

Scott had hinted at a possible run for the seat Sen. Jim Webb will vacate with his retirement after only one term, saying he'd make up his mind this summer. He waited until the traditional end-of-summer holiday to announce his decision. 

In a statement, Scott said though he believes he can win the nomination and the general election -- he wasn't willing to postpone his work in Congress for the 14 months required to run a winning campaign. Scott also said the drawn-out redistricting process in Virginia had played a role in his decision not to run. Congressional redistricting is still ongoing in the state, and lawmakers will take up various plans again this fall.

Kaine holds prohibitive fundraising and name recognition advantages over untested opposition for his party's nomination in the marquee 2012 race in Virginia, a new presidential battleground. 

Among Republicans, former Gov. George Allen has a commanding polling and fundraising edge on the GOP field, including Virginia tea party leader Jamie Radtke. 

 

NPR

Professional Wrestling World Mourns Longtime Star 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper

The Canadian entered the WWF as a villain and fought Hulk Hogan and Mr. T in the first Wrestlemania event. The career gave the often-bekilted grappler many chances to show off his bagpipe skills.
WAMU 88.5

Donald Trump Sues Chef José Andrés Over Hotel Pullout

Trump has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against Chef José Andrés and his companies after Andrés announced that he's canceling plans to have a restaurant inside Trump's Old Post Office hotel in downtown D.C.
WAMU 88.5

Donald Trump Sues Chef José Andrés Over Hotel Pullout

Trump has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against Chef José Andrés and his companies after Andrés announced that he's canceling plans to have a restaurant inside Trump's Old Post Office hotel in downtown D.C.
NPR

Despite Host Controversy, Amazon Takes A Chance On 'Top Gear'

The trio that made Top Gear the world's biggest car show will return to the small screen in a new show for Amazon Prime. The BBC canned one of its hosts last year after a fight with a producer.

Leave a Comment

Help keep the conversation civil. Please refer to our Terms of Use and Code of Conduct before posting your comments.