Authorities say a worker was electrocuted Saturday morning while trimming trees in Takoma Park, Md.
A worker has been electrocuted while trimming branches at a home in Takoma Park, Md.
The man has been identified by NBC Washington as Orlando Hernandez, 48. Hernandez died from the shock.
The worker was apparently trimming branches near power lines in the 7400 block of Jackson Avenue, near Lincoln Avenue, Saturday morning, according to Montgomery County Fire Department spokesman Captain Oscar Garcia. At some point, the ladder likely came into contact with a live power line, Garcia says.
Investigators say the accident may have occurred when electricity from the 13,000-volt power line arced through the air to the ladder. The victim apparently did not make direct contact with the power line, which was 40 feet in the air, officials add.
Pepco engineers had to temporarily cut power to the area in order for emergency crews to remove the man's body.
The homeowner had reportedly hired two workers to clear storm debris from Hurricane Irene.
NBC Washington video from scene of electrocution
View more videos at: http://nbcwashington.com.