A bank robbery in Wheaton Friday is being linked by police to 12 others in the area.
Montgomery County Police and the FBI are looking for a
man they believe has robbed 13 banks in Maryland and Virginia going back to July of 2010, and most recently on Friday, according to NBC Washington.
The latest robbery was
committed Friday about 12:15 p.m. at the BB&T Bank on Georgia Avenue
in Wheaton. Police say a man entered the bank with a gun and announced a
robbery. A teller gave the robber money and he left, walking along
Montgomery County Police have been in contact with detectives in Virginia, and they believe is the same man wanted in connection with 12 other robberies -- four in Virginia and eight in Maryland. Although the man was disguised in sunglasses and a mask, surveillance footage from other crimes show detail which leads authorities to believe the same suspect committed all the robberies, according to the Associated Press.
Investigators also say the suspect seems to prefer certain banks since he's robbed at least three of the locations twice.
Police say the suspect is a black male with a medium to dark complexion, approximately 6’2” tall and weighing about 180 to 200 pounds. Crime Solvers of Montgomery
County is offering a $2,500 reward and can be reached at 1-866-411-TIPS
(8477) or 240-773-TIPS (8477).
The complete list of related robberies, according the Montgomery County Police website:
- July 2, 2010, Sovereign Bank, 17920 Georgia Avenue, Olney, approximately 12:27 p.m.
- September 1, 2010, Sovereign Bank, 17920 Georgia Avenue, Olney, approximately 3:10 p.m.
- October 14, 2010, M&T Bank, 11161 New Hampshire Avenue, White Oak, approximately 2:33 p.m.
- October 30, 2010 – Wachovia Bank, 16810 Georgia Avenue, Olney, approximately 10:21 a.m.
- November 16, 2010 – M&T Bank, 11161 New Hampshire Avenue, White Oak, approximately 11:16 a.m.
- December 14, 2010, BB&T Bank, 2947 S. Glebe Road, Arlington, approximately 2:15 p.m.
- December 20, 2010, Bank of America, 600 North Washington Street, Alexandria, approximately 2:45 p.m.
- December 27, 2010, PNC Bank, 1700 Diagonal Road, Alexandria, approximately 2:15 p.m.
- January 7, 2011, SunTrust Bank, 9812 Falls Road, Potomac, approximately 1:31 p.m.
- February 1, 2011, Sovereign Bank, 481 N. Frederick Avenue, Gaithersburg, approximately 3:27 p.m.
- July 21, 2011, SunTrust Bank, 9812 Falls Road, Potomac, approximately 9:54 a.m.
- August 4, 2011, SunTrust Bank, 603 W. Broad Street, Falls Church, Virginia, approximately 10:06 a.m.
- September 2, 2011, BB&T Bank, 11501 Georgia Avenue, approximately 12:13 p.m.