Maryland Man Dies Due To Indoor Generator Use | WAMU 88.5 - American University Radio

WAMU 88.5 : News

Maryland Man Dies Due To Indoor Generator Use

Play associated audio
A Maryland man died and several others have been hospitalized due to generator-related carbon monoxide poisoning.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcmetroblogger/3859333090/
A Maryland man died and several others have been hospitalized due to generator-related carbon monoxide poisoning.

Officials in Maryland say one person is dead and six people are hospitalized because they were improperly using generators to power their homes after they lost electric service because of Hurricane Irene.

Forty-eight-year-old Won Koo Sung in Ellicott City died at his home, according to an AP report. His wife and 17-year-old son were taken to a Baltimore hospital. Maryland Emergency Management Agency Executive Director Richard Muth says the survivors are critically ill.

In Prince George's County, two women and two men were hospitalized Monday night for carbon monoxide exposure. Officials say gas-powered generators were found in the garages of each home.

The MEMA has posted guidelines on their website urging residents not to operate fuel-burning generators indoors, or even near open windows, because of the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. They also stress the importance of owning and maintaining carbon monoxide detectors.

NPR

Watch 'Bob's Burgers'? Now You Can Eat Them, Too

What happens when you try to make a burger out of a pun? One blog, two years, and dozens of recipes later, millions of fans can now cook up their very own Bob's burgers.
NPR

Watch 'Bob's Burgers'? Now You Can Eat Them, Too

What happens when you try to make a burger out of a pun? One blog, two years, and dozens of recipes later, millions of fans can now cook up their very own Bob's burgers.
NPR

Obama Makes Guest Appearance On Modi's Radio Show

India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi hosts a radio show and this week his guest was President Barack Obama. They answered questions from a curious Indian public.
NPR

Facebook Suffers Self-Inflicted Outage

A Facebook statement said the disruption was caused by a technical change it made to the site and wasn't a cyberattack. The outage lasted an hour.

Leave a Comment

Help keep the conversation civil. Please refer to our Terms of Use and Code of Conduct before posting your comments.