Maryland Man Dies Due To Indoor Generator Use | WAMU 88.5 - American University Radio

WAMU 88.5 : News

Maryland Man Dies Due To Indoor Generator Use

Play associated audio
A Maryland man died and several others have been hospitalized due to generator-related carbon monoxide poisoning.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcmetroblogger/3859333090/
A Maryland man died and several others have been hospitalized due to generator-related carbon monoxide poisoning.

Officials in Maryland say one person is dead and six people are hospitalized because they were improperly using generators to power their homes after they lost electric service because of Hurricane Irene.

Forty-eight-year-old Won Koo Sung in Ellicott City died at his home, according to an AP report. His wife and 17-year-old son were taken to a Baltimore hospital. Maryland Emergency Management Agency Executive Director Richard Muth says the survivors are critically ill.

In Prince George's County, two women and two men were hospitalized Monday night for carbon monoxide exposure. Officials say gas-powered generators were found in the garages of each home.

The MEMA has posted guidelines on their website urging residents not to operate fuel-burning generators indoors, or even near open windows, because of the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. They also stress the importance of owning and maintaining carbon monoxide detectors.

WAMU 88.5

Art Beat With Lauren Landau, Sept. 1

Art inspires art in these two musicals based on a movie and a painting, respectively.

NPR

Mugs Aren't Just For Liquids, Make A Microwave Meal In Them

David Greene swaps recipes for cooking in a mug with Joe Yonan, author of the "Cooking for One" column for The Washington Post. (This piece initially aired on Feb. 25, 2013 on Morning Edition.)
WAMU 88.5

Jurors To Begin Considering McDonnell Case Tuesday

The trial of former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell and his wife Maureen enters its sixth week this week — but with final arguments in the bag, it is now up to the jury to decide a verdict on 14 counts.

NPR

X Prize Competition Could Make 'Tricorder' A Reality

Many Star Trek gadgets have made the journey from science fiction to real life. Arun Rath talks to Grant Campany about the X Prize Foundation's competition to bring the medical tricorder to life.

Leave a Comment

Help keep the conversation civil. Please refer to our Terms of Use and Code of Conduct before posting your comments.