Officials in Maryland say one person is dead and six people are hospitalized because they were improperly using generators to power their homes after they lost electric service because of Hurricane Irene.
Forty-eight-year-old Won Koo Sung in Ellicott City died at his home, according to an AP report. His wife and 17-year-old son were taken to a Baltimore hospital. Maryland Emergency Management Agency Executive Director Richard Muth says the survivors are critically ill.
In Prince George's County, two women and two men were hospitalized Monday night for carbon monoxide exposure. Officials say gas-powered generators were found in the garages of each home.
The MEMA has posted guidelines on their website urging residents not to operate fuel-burning generators indoors, or even near open windows, because of the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. They also stress the importance of owning and maintaining carbon monoxide detectors.