WAMU 88.5 : News

Filed Under:

DCPS Issues More Than 400 Layoff Notices To Teachers And Staff

Play associated audio
D.C. Public Schools issued more than 400 layoff notices to teachers and staff July 15. That's almost double the amount of notices issued last year.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fortinbras/2931835903
D.C. Public Schools issued more than 400 layoff notices to teachers and staff July 15. That's almost double the amount of notices issued last year.

Almost three times the number of teachers in D.C. Public Schools will be fired this year compared to last year; approximately 200 of them for poor evaluations.

Those teachers rated "ineffective" for this school year or "minimally effective" for the past two school years. Licensure issues accounted for 104 of the notices sent today.

Chancellor Kaya Henderson says she knew the number of terminations would be higher during the second year because under this evaluation system, employees that received poor scores for the second straight year would be terminated.

"I'm pleased that we're seeing consistency from IMPACT from year to year and we are able to move out the people who do not meet the standard," says Henderson.

The 2010-2011 school year is only the second year that the IMPACT system, which was implemented by former Chancellor Michelle Rhee, has been in place.

Exactly the same number of teachers as last year -- 633 -- were rated "highly effective" this year. That means they are eligible for bonuses of up to $25,000. Henderson says she's excited about approximately 300 teachers who received top evaluations for the second year in a row.

"Because in addition to their bonus they will receive a huge base increase of up to $20,000," she says. "That will allow us to keep the people who are consistently providing the kind of education for our students that we expect."

Employees that received termination notices have one month to appeal the decision.

NPR

Despite Host Controversy, Amazon Takes A Chance On 'Top Gear'

The trio that made Top Gear the world's biggest car show will return to the small screen in a new show for Amazon Prime. The BBC canned one of its hosts last year after a fight with a producer.
WAMU 88.5

Donald Trump Sues Chef José Andrés Over Hotel Pullout

Trump has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against Chef José Andrés and his companies after Andrés announced that he's canceling plans to have a restaurant inside Trump's Old Post Office hotel in downtown D.C.
WAMU 88.5

Donald Trump Sues Chef José Andrés Over Hotel Pullout

Trump has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against Chef José Andrés and his companies after Andrés announced that he's canceling plans to have a restaurant inside Trump's Old Post Office hotel in downtown D.C.
NPR

Despite Host Controversy, Amazon Takes A Chance On 'Top Gear'

The trio that made Top Gear the world's biggest car show will return to the small screen in a new show for Amazon Prime. The BBC canned one of its hosts last year after a fight with a producer.

Leave a Comment

Help keep the conversation civil. Please refer to our Terms of Use and Code of Conduct before posting your comments.