Weekend delays are expected on the Metro for the next 12 months.
Trains will not run between Federal Center SW and Minnesota Ave. stations on the Orange line, and between Federal Center SW and Largo Town Center on the Blue line. Shuttle buses will replace train service between these locations.
The Capitol South, Eastern Market, Potomac Ave, and Stadium-Armory Metro stations will all be closed. Metro is recommending riders estimate an additional 40 minutes of trip time if using the shuttle buses.
The Red line will also be experiencing some delays this weekend, with trains sharing the same track between Friendship Heights and Grovesnor-Strathmore Metro stations.
There's a really complex outline of when trains are running where, and when buses are leaving and from where along the Blue and Orange lines, but here's a few highlights that you'll probably want to know:
-Work goes into effect at 10 p.m. tonight, meaning if you're riding Metro later than that this evening, keep an eye out for Shuttle buses in affected areas;
-Things are supposed to be back to normal by Tuesday morning;
-The last trains each day at the ends of the lines may be leaving 30 minutes early to accommodate shuttles, so plan accordingly.
Shuttle buses should be at these locations outside of closed stations:
• Federal Center SW: D St. S.W., between 3rd and 4th Sts., S.W.;
• Capitol South: Eastbound at Independence Avenue at 1st Street SE; westbound at Independence Avenue east of 1st Street SE;
• Eastern Market: Eastbound at Pennsylvania Avenue SE across from the station entrance; westbound at Pennsylvania Avenue SE at the station entrance;
• Potomac Avenue: Eastbound at Potomac Avenue S.E., and 14th St. S.E.; westbound at Potomac Avenue east of 14th St. S.E., at the top of station escalators;
• Stadium-Armory: Eastbound on 19th St. S.E., in front of station escalators; westbound at the bus bay, south side of station escalators;
• Benning Road: On East Capitol St. just east of Benning Road; and
• Minnesota Avenue: Route U6 bus bay.
The project causing the closures includes repair to escalators and elevators at several of the stations, replacement of track switches at Eastern Market, replacement of 4,700 fasteners, repair of the structure outside the Stadium-Armory Metro, and installation of new cables to improve cell phone access.