WAMU 88.5 : News

Filed Under:

GM Breaks Ground On Electric Motor Facility In Maryland

Play associated audio
Now that ground has been broken, officials hope GM's electric motor facility will be up and running in time to launch model year 2013 motors.
Courtney Collins
Now that ground has been broken, officials hope GM's electric motor facility will be up and running in time to launch model year 2013 motors.

Gov. Martin O'Malley was part of the group that sank shovels into the sod at GM's Baltimore Operation.

O'Malley was part of a large crowd of people that took time to celebrate the groundbreaking of the plant's new electric motor manufacturing facility -- the first facility of its kind in the United States to be backed by a major automaker.

“The jobs of clean, green manufacturing are jobs that could go to any country; we want those jobs to happen in our country," O'Malley says.

Just under 200 of those jobs will be created once the facility is up and running. Employees will be hired and trained in 2012 in hopes of launching motors for model year 2013.

“Our goal is to wind up being hands down the best at making these -- no problem for the customer. They will be the best because that's the only way we see that we will be able to grow here," says William Tiger, plant manager at GM's Baltimore Operation facility.

He says two summers ago, people weren't even sure if the plant had a future.

“Everybody was concerned. Was the plant going to be open? Were we going to have a job?" Tiger says.

Now, the ground is broken on an environmentally friendly expansion project. Baltimore Operations is holding an open house Wednesday to show off its facilities which now include solar panels, electric car charging stations and a wildlife habitat.

NPR

Despite Host Controversy, Amazon Takes A Chance On 'Top Gear'

The trio that made Top Gear the world's biggest car show will return to the small screen in a new show for Amazon Prime. The BBC canned one of its hosts last year after a fight with a producer.
WAMU 88.5

Donald Trump Sues Chef José Andrés Over Hotel Pullout

Trump has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against Chef José Andrés and his companies after Andrés announced that he's canceling plans to have a restaurant inside Trump's Old Post Office hotel in downtown D.C.
WAMU 88.5

Donald Trump Sues Chef José Andrés Over Hotel Pullout

Trump has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against Chef José Andrés and his companies after Andrés announced that he's canceling plans to have a restaurant inside Trump's Old Post Office hotel in downtown D.C.
NPR

Despite Host Controversy, Amazon Takes A Chance On 'Top Gear'

The trio that made Top Gear the world's biggest car show will return to the small screen in a new show for Amazon Prime. The BBC canned one of its hosts last year after a fight with a producer.

Leave a Comment

Help keep the conversation civil. Please refer to our Terms of Use and Code of Conduct before posting your comments.