WAMU 88.5 : News

Filed Under:

PG County Man Arrested in Connection With 2008 Springfield Triple Murder

Play associated audio

Delante C. Cook, 34, of Prince George's County, Md., was arrested Wednesday in connection with the 2008 home invasion in Springfield that led to the stabbing deaths of three men.

A grand jury recently indicted Cook on two counts of conspiracy and attempt to commit burglary.

It was a crime that left the residents of Ravensworth Farm community in Springfield mystified and nervous. Brothers Ryan and Terence Strope and friend Andres Yelicie were all stabbed to death during an apparent home invasion on Nov. 19, 2008.

Lisa Myers lives down the street from where it happened.

"It was really shocking," Myers says, "and it was shocking because this is a 'Leave it to Beaver' neighborhood."

Cook's indictment comes two and a half years after the crime.

U.S. Attorney Neil MacBride says Cook and at least two other men watched the Strope home for days before the robbery, and impersonated law enforcement officers to get into the house.

"Mr. Cook and his co-conspirators adopted the appearance of police officers to gain entry into the homes they were targeting for drugs and money," says MacBride.

MacBride says Jelani Slay, one of the men believed to be with Cook during the robbery, died after being shot in 2009 during another alleged robbery in D.C., and says the investigation into other co-conspirators continues.

Cook faces the conspiracy and attempt to commit robbery charges, but MacBride would not say whether Cook will be charged in connection with the murders.

Delante Cook Indictment 05.04.11
NPR

Despite Host Controversy, Amazon Takes A Chance On 'Top Gear'

The trio that made Top Gear the world's biggest car show will return to the small screen in a new show for Amazon Prime. The BBC canned one of its hosts last year after a fight with a producer.
WAMU 88.5

Donald Trump Sues Chef José Andrés Over Hotel Pullout

Trump has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against Chef José Andrés and his companies after Andrés announced that he's canceling plans to have a restaurant inside Trump's Old Post Office hotel in downtown D.C.
WAMU 88.5

Donald Trump Sues Chef José Andrés Over Hotel Pullout

Trump has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against Chef José Andrés and his companies after Andrés announced that he's canceling plans to have a restaurant inside Trump's Old Post Office hotel in downtown D.C.
NPR

Despite Host Controversy, Amazon Takes A Chance On 'Top Gear'

The trio that made Top Gear the world's biggest car show will return to the small screen in a new show for Amazon Prime. The BBC canned one of its hosts last year after a fight with a producer.

Leave a Comment

Help keep the conversation civil. Please refer to our Terms of Use and Code of Conduct before posting your comments.