WAMU 88.5 : News

Filed Under:

After Explosion, Authorities Advise Letting Pros Install Appliances

Play associated audio
Pieces of flaming debris caused a fire at the house next door, but it was quickly extinguished.
Jessica Jordan
Pieces of flaming debris caused a fire at the house next door, but it was quickly extinguished.

Investigators from Montgomery County Fire and Rescue found that the Wednesday morning explosion was caused by an improperly installed natural gas dryer.

Brian Poore lives three doors down from the house on Ashley Drive that exploded. He says the blast shook the foundation of his home and flames turned the night sky orange.

"It was amazing," he says. "It was all on fire. Kind of unbelievable to see a gap where a house once was."

The explosion caused more than $700,000 in damage and sent debris flying 50 yards in every direction. Now Poore says the incident is causing him to think twice about the dangers of natural gas.

"Natural gas in the house. It's scary knowing it could turn your house into a bomb," he says.

But Montgomery County assistant fire chief Scott Graham says residents can protect themselves by hiring professionals to install natural gas appliances.

"If you're installing a natural gas appliance of any kind, someone who is licensed to install that in your jurisdiction should be installing it," he says.

He adds that workers with Washington Gas inspected the area and found no additional danger to the public.

NPR

Despite Host Controversy, Amazon Takes A Chance On 'Top Gear'

The trio that made Top Gear the world's biggest car show will return to the small screen in a new show for Amazon Prime. The BBC canned one of its hosts last year after a fight with a producer.
WAMU 88.5

Donald Trump Sues Chef José Andrés Over Hotel Pullout

Trump has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against Chef José Andrés and his companies after Andrés announced that he's canceling plans to have a restaurant inside Trump's Old Post Office hotel in downtown D.C.
WAMU 88.5

Donald Trump Sues Chef José Andrés Over Hotel Pullout

Trump has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit against Chef José Andrés and his companies after Andrés announced that he's canceling plans to have a restaurant inside Trump's Old Post Office hotel in downtown D.C.
NPR

Despite Host Controversy, Amazon Takes A Chance On 'Top Gear'

The trio that made Top Gear the world's biggest car show will return to the small screen in a new show for Amazon Prime. The BBC canned one of its hosts last year after a fight with a producer.

Leave a Comment

Help keep the conversation civil. Please refer to our Terms of Use and Code of Conduct before posting your comments.