Pieces of flaming debris caused a fire at the house next door, but it was quickly extinguished.
Investigators from Montgomery County Fire and Rescue found that the Wednesday morning explosion was caused by an improperly installed natural gas dryer.
Brian Poore lives three doors down from the house on Ashley Drive that exploded. He says the blast shook the foundation of his home and flames turned the night sky orange.
"It was amazing," he says. "It was all on fire. Kind of unbelievable to see a gap where a house once was."
The explosion caused more than $700,000 in damage and sent debris flying 50 yards in every direction. Now Poore says the incident is causing him to think twice about the dangers of natural gas.
"Natural gas in the house. It's scary knowing it could turn your house into a bomb," he says.
But Montgomery County assistant fire chief Scott Graham says residents can protect themselves by hiring professionals to install natural gas appliances.
"If you're installing a natural gas appliance of any kind, someone who is licensed to install that in your jurisdiction should be installing it," he says.
He adds that workers with Washington Gas inspected the area and found no additional danger to the public.