The ACLU is moving forward with its plans to take Metro to court over its program of random bag searches.
Local ACLU Director Johnny Barnes says his group is looking for someone who's had their bags searched, and who would have legal standing to challenge the program's constitutionality.
Bag search programs in other subway systems -- such as Boston and New York City -- were upheld in court. But Barnes says Metro's program is different because, according to Metro's own executives, it was not implemented in response to a specific threat.
Barnes says the ACLU tried to set up a meeting with Metro on this shortly after they implemented the program late last year but got no response.
After Barnes announced his plans to move forward with a lawsuit Thursday morning, a Metro spokesperson said they are now willing to meet with the ACLU.