Virginia is adding 15 sites to its Landmarks Register, including several from Northern Virginia. Two of those sites represent dreams of former presidents.
Among those in the D.C. area is the Great Falls Park Historic District in Fairfax County, including part of the Potomac Canal. That engineering project was part of George Washington's dream of making the Ohio River Valley accessible via the Potomac.
Also on the list: 10,000 acres in Prince William County, where the first Civilian Conservation Corps company was put to work. The program was part of Franklin Delano Roosevelt's mission to conserve natural resources, while putting the Depression-era unemployed back to work. One-hundred-fifty-three of the structures built through the program are in the Prince William Forest Park.
The sites will also be forwarded to the National Parks Service for nomination to the National Register of Historic Places.
OTHERS ON THE LIST: (From the Associated Press)
Greenwood-Afton Rural Historic District in Albemarle, Nelson and August counties. Settled by Scots-Irish immigrants, the 16,200-acre district is dominated by large farmsteads.
Diamond Hill Baptist Church in Lynchburg. It was an important meeting place for registering and turning out African-American voters.
Virginia University of Lynchburg. The oldest institution of higher education in the city and the first associated with African-American education.
Crednal in Loudoun County. A 1785 stone dwelling with ties to many prominent Virginians.
High Banks in Frederick County. Built in 1753, its English house plan and Germanic building techniques reflect early European settlement in the northern Shenandoah Valley.
Old Town Hall and School in Prince William County. Dating to 1883, it was a center for the Haymarket community for more than a century.
The William Virts House in Loudoun County. Its namesake moved with his family from Pennsylvania, reflecting a settlement pattern of British Quakers, German Lutherans and Scots Irish. It dates to 1798.
The Earle M. Winslow House in Arlington County. Constructed in 1940, it is an example of the Streamline Moderne architectural style. Eight others exist in the county.
The Lane Hotel in Mathews County. Dating to 1840, it has lives as a tavern, hotel and storehouse. It is now a bed-and-breakfast.
Baker-St. John House in Washington County. Built in 1866 for Dr. John Alexander Preston Baker, it has a rich social history.
East Hill Cemetery in Bristol. Established in 1857, it contains the graves of Bristol's founders, African-Americans and 179 Civil War soldiers.
The Schoolfield Welfare Building in Danville. Completed in 1917, it was build by Dan River Inc. to better the lives of its primarily female work force. It offered child care and contained a clinic.
Spring Valley Rural Historic District in Grayson County. The 4,220 acres illustrates farming and commercial agricultural practices in remote southwest Virginia.