By Meymo Lyons
The National Transportation Safety Board says it is poised to release a cause of last year's deadly red line train crash. An NTSB spokesperson says the board will meet July 27 "to consider a final report" on the accident.
A Metro train slammed into the back of a stopped train on the Red Line during the height of rush hour, last June 22. Nine people including the train operator died, and 80 were injured in the deadliest accident in Metro history. The NTSB held a three-day public hearing earlier this year, but was unable to determine a probable cause for the crash at that time.
In addition, the NTSB says progress has been made in investigations into three other Metro accidents, including one in January that killed two maintenance technicians when an hi-rail truck backed into them. In that case, investigators continue to look at on-track protection rules, training and other issues.