: News

Charges Dropped Against 14-Year-Old In Drive-By Shooting

Play associated audio

By Patrick Madden

Two more people have been charged in last month's mass shooting in Southeast D.C. and another suspect is being sought by police. At the same time, prosecutors have dropped the charges against a 14-year-old accused in the case. The teen had faced 41 counts, including first degree murder. Authorities now say they had the wrong person.

It took a finger print analysis to confirm what some witnesses and suspects had been telling police and prosecutors. The 14-year-old was not the driver of the getaway vehicle involved in the March 30th shooting that left 4 people dead and five injured.

"In a perfect world we would never have mistakes. The circumstances leading to the probable cause hearing were such that both we and the court believed there was probable cause at that time," says D.C. Attorney General Peter Nickles.

Nickles also criticized the Washington Examiner for disclosing the name of the 14-year-old and with a judge's permission took the unusual step of naming the teen to publicly exonerate him.

NPR

Aviator Beryl Markham Soars Again In 'Paris Wife' Author's New Book

"It is my fate to illuminate the lives of these one-of-a-kind notable women that have been somehow forgotten by history," says Paula McClain. She shines her spotlight on Markham in Circling the Sun.
NPR

At The Purple Pie Place, Where The Crusts Are Just Sweet Enough

Bobkat's Purple Pie Place is a fixture in Custer, S.D. From chicken pot pie to strawberry rhubarb, Trevor Yehlie and his family have been baking and serving pies at the local favorite since 2009.
NPR

SuperPACs Report Their Funds — And The Numbers Are Staggering

SuperPACs released their latest funding numbers Friday, and already it's clear that the committees' roles in 2016 will be gargantuan.
NPR

Despite Host Controversy, Amazon Takes A Chance On 'Top Gear'

The trio that made Top Gear the world's biggest car show will return to the small screen in a new show for Amazon Prime. The BBC canned one of its hosts last year after a fight with a producer.

Leave a Comment

Help keep the conversation civil. Please refer to our Terms of Use and Code of Conduct before posting your comments.