: News

Pentagon Tightens Security In Wake Of Shooting

Play associated audio

By NAFEESA SYEED Associated Press Writer

ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) The head of security at the Pentagon says new safety measures have been implemented since a gunman opened fire at the building earlier this month.

Steven E. Calvery, director of the Pentagon Force Protection Agency, says his department has evaluated its operations since March 4, when John Patrick Bedell shot at officers outside the Pentagon Metro station before being killed by return fire.

Calvery says among the changes are extra screening of visitors, more random inspections of employees and communication improvements at the agency's command center.

Calvery, who presented Pentagon police with new badges Thursday, says the Pentagon remains a target and authorities must adapt to evolving threats.

A multimillion-dollar, five-year overhaul of security at the Pentagon also is under way.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

NPR

Book Review: 'Born To Run,' Bruce Springsteen

Music critic Will Hermes reviews a new autobiography from Bruce Springsteen called Born To Run.
WAMU 88.5

A Matter Of Taste: What Prix Fixe Menus Say About D.C.'s Dining Scene

Is a meal for a special occasion worth hundreds of dollars?

NPR

Clinton-Trump Showdown Is Most-Watched Presidential Debate

An estimated 84 million people watched Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in their first debate Monday, according to TV ratings data from Nielsen, making it the most-watched debate ever.
NPR

When Phones Went Mobile: Revisiting NPR's 1983 Story On 'Cellular'

The report titled "Cellular Phones Are Completely Mobile" features a man who was "among the first 1,500 customers to use a new mobile phone system called cellular."

Leave a Comment

Help keep the conversation civil. Please refer to our Terms of Use and Code of Conduct before posting your comments.