Across Tampa, Fla., and Charlotte, N.C., night clubs, art museums and aquariums are morphing into entertainment hubs, as political candidates and interest groups host events and fundraisers for convention delegates. We explore how the two parties party with a Washington event guru. We also talk with muckraking activists who are building a digital record of the parties and partygoers at the RNC and DNC.
RNC Fundraisers, Parties And Events
Since 2008, the Sunlight Foundation has tracked invitations to political fundraisers, chronicling small receptions and lavish getaways. These are some of the events taking place at the 2012 Republican National Convention:
- Cocktails & Cosmetics, hosted by the Personal Care Products Council.
- Fueling the Future with Zac Brown Band, hosted by Vote 4 Energy.
- Homocon 2012, hosted by a variety of individual and group sponsors.
- Patriots for Romney/Ryan 2012, hosted by a variety of individual and group sponsors.
- Nuestra Noche: Midnight in Ybor, hosted by Ed Gillespie and Al Cardenas.
- Treasure Life Lunch with Rick Santorum, Gov. Rick Perry, Rep. Michele Bachmann, Rep. Louie Gohmert, hosted by Phyllis Schlafly, Republican National Coalition for Life and Tony Perkins.
- Freedom to Marry Brunch, hosted by Young Conservatives for the Freedom to Marry.
- Space Jam.